Video: Using YouTube with a screen reader and Easy YouTube
This is one of the demo videos that Kath Moonan of AbilityNet showed during her presentation. It is a user testing interview of a blind user trying to use YouTube with a screen reader and then try the same task with Easy YouTube.
Antonia Hyde on learning disabilities
Antonia Hyde explained to the audience the impact of web design on people with learning disabilities. There is not enough data out there on user testing covering learning disabilities - this was a very welcome exception. Antonia also pointed out the necessity of collaboration as the first and foremost mean of building systems that work, going into detail about our collaboration on building easy youtube.
Jonathan Hassell on Dyslexia
Jonathan Hassell of the BBC did a joint presentation with Phil Teare on the impacts and symptoms of dyslexia on web design and usability. Jonathan goes through the results of a BBC research and gives some tips on how to not block out dyslexic users completely.
Jonathan Hassell, head of the BBC accessibility on Dyslexia, its numbers and the effects on web design.
Kath Moonan - Why I hate the interweb
Kath Moonan of Abilitynet showed in her presentation user research with users with disabilities and how frustrated people can get by barriers that just are not necessary. There is a lot of good content in this one, make sure to go through all of it.
Kath Moonan’s presentation at Scripting Enabled in London, September 2008. She covers the outcome of research done by Abilitynet with people with visual impairments and web sites.
Denise Stephens at Scripting Enabled
Denise Stephens did a wonderful presentation on how the world is in her eyes and senses and what problems she encounters online suffering from MS. There are some good tips there but in general we got a great insight into good interfaces being about adaptability more than anything else.
Denise Stephen’s presentation at http://scriptingenabled covering the symptoms of MS and how inclusive web design can help make it easier to surf the web.
Here are Artur’s links:
- Flash & making Video Accessible
- The intersection of accessible flash and SEO:
- How non-visible meta data improves usability for users with disabilities
- Beyond our horizon - our users:
- Yahoo’s LIVE Deaf Chat Room! for our deaf users
- flickr - Blind Photographers
- flickr - Visually-impaired photographers UK
- flickr for blind people using the new touchcolor system
- flickr - Color-Blind Photographers
- flickr - Seeing Beyond Sight Challenge - this photo challenge was inspired by a new book called, Seeing Beyond Sight: Photographs by Blind Teenagers (Chronicle Books 2007).
- For the end: